[mythtv-users] filesystem choice for an 8TB logical drive.

Andy Colson andy at squeakycode.net
Mon Oct 19 14:28:39 UTC 2009

David Knight wrote:
> On Mon, October 19, 2009 1:34 am, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>> 2009/10/19 Greg Grotsky <spikeygg at gmail.com>:
>>
>>> 1) plug in the new drive.
>>> 2) create a pv, vg, and lv on the new drive.
>>> 3) copy all the movies from the�jfs�drive to the new lv.
>>> 4) wipe the partition info and create and LVM partition on it.
>>> 5) extend the new lv onto the old disk.
>>> 6) extend the filesystem.
>>> (let me know if I'm missing anything here)
>>>
>>> Because of this I need to use a filesystem that can be resized.� I know
>>> that
>>> JFS can but I worry that it can not be shrunk (I'm not sure why).
>> The more valid question may be, how likely are you going to want to
>> shrink a partition size?
>>
>> I run 5x 1.5TB in raid5 + LVM + JFS
>>
>> no trouble here
>>
>> one of my 1.5TB died after only 4 months, got it replaced under
>> warranty, glad I had RAID
>>

> I've just converted to 3 x 1TB in raid 5 + LVM + XFS, thoroughly recommended.

Just as a curious question, having never used LVM, if you can add disks to raid5, and the filesystem (jfs/xfs) can be grown, what does lvm give you that you didnt already have?

>>> JFS can but I worry that it can not be shrunk (I'm not sure why).

I'v run xfs on my myth box for a while, and never had problems.  It only supports grow as well.  And I've never (in 5 years) wanted to shrink a partition, so I dont think it'll be a problem.

-Andy