[mythtv-users] QSqlDatabase: QMYSQL3 driver not loaded - Fedora 11

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Oct 19 01:41:01 UTC 2009

On 10/18/2009 09:13 PM, Ken Bass wrote:
> Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>> 2009/10/19 Ken Bass:
>>> In trying a new install of .22_RC1 on a new Fedora 11 x86_64 setup.
>>>
>>> I am getting "QSqlDatabase: QMYSQL3 driver not loaded" when running
>>> mythtv-setup and it is driving me crazy.
>>>
>>> QSqlDatabase: QMYSQL3 driver not loaded
>>> QSqlDatabase: available drivers: QSQLITE
>>> 2009-10-18 14:42:45.911 Unable to init db connection.
>> you need qt4, not qt3
>>
> Which is confusing because the error message says QMYSQL3, not QMYSQL4.
> And this (incorrect) message from the archive
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/385142 says the
> opposite.

Note that the error message is saying QMYSQL3, not Q3MYSQL.  QMYSQL3 is
the legacy name for the Qt-MySQL driver--the one that supports MySQL
3.23 and above...  :)

(The driver is now just called the QMYSQL driver, but QMYSQL3 still
works--so we haven't had any reason to change the way we're asking for
it--but, TTBOMK, the only reason they changed the legacy name is because
people got confused.  Many thought the 3 had to do with Qt, so when Qt4
was released, they asked for the QMYSQL4 driver.  And, those who
actually figured out the 3 was talking about MySQL often wondered
whether there was a QMYSQL5 that might have been a better one to use.
So the Qt devs thought it was easier to just drop the 3.)

Mike