[mythtv-users] Maximum no. of simultaneous recordings in MythTV

drew einhorn drew.einhorn at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 00:59:57 UTC 2009

On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 5:25 PM, agraham <agraham at g-b.net> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Does anyone know what the maximum number of simultaneous recordings is in
> MythTV ?
>
> I have 12 DVB-T/S devices, each set for 10 Encoders - MythTV is patched is
> allow upto 10 virtual encoders per device, this means I have 120 encoders in
> total (as shown in MythWeb status).
>
> When recording 10 things simultaneous, recordings get split in two, i.e.
> "The X Files" is shown twice ? each file having half the programme.
>
> Is there an "simultaneous recordings limit" ? can this be changed ?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Albert.
>
> I'm at (release-0-21-fixes) revision 22528.

Wow, I really don't have a good answer, but I really can't imagine
keeping that many encoders busy.  In my opinion Bruce Springsteen's
old song: "57 channels (and nothing on)" is, more often than not,
pretty close to the mark.  How do you find the time to actually watch
that much TV?

It sounds like you have a configuration issue, that is your immediate problem.

Once you get past that I expect that even with hardware encoding, your
system may run out of resources long before you get to 120
simultaneous recordings.  I'd do some rough calculations on disk
bandwidth.  How many backends do you have? I'd also look at cpu,
memory, and network utilization on both front ends and back ends.
Swapping/paging to disk will kill you on either front ends or back
ends.

--
Drew Einhorn