[mythtv-users] TRUNK not compiling under hardy, should it?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 00:04:00 UTC 2009

2009/10/19 Brad Templeton <brad+myth at templetons.com>:

> My frontends are kept up to date (Jaunty and later kernels) but
> my master server is, as is common for a server, not updated nearly
> so much.  Instead I keep it on the Ubuntu long-term-support version,
> which is designed for people who don't want the hassle of frequent
> upgrades.

long term support doesn't mean it's going to receive new version of
software for the duration of support.

8.04 doesn't come with Qt4, so you won't be able to compile mythtv 0.22 on it.

You can install Qt4 by enable the backport repository, but if that's
what you're doing, you're better off installing a newer version of
ubuntu as you would be giving up on the main reason on why you want
8.04-LTS in the first place

> But now I find in upgrading my myth that I have trouble compiling it
> on the hardy system.
>
> I get problems like this which strike me as being a possible consequence
> of the older gcc 4.2 or some other older library.
>
> Is this intended to work?  If not, I would want to encourage it as
> the idea of keeping a server on an older release is not uncommon.

it compiles fine for me here, provided you have managed to install the newer Qt