[mythtv-users] Zotac ION + NTP clock too fast?

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Sun Oct 18 19:56:33 UTC 2009

Matt W wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 9:00 PM, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:
>> I think it's because of what happens if you're using that machine as an NTP
>> server as well as a client.  By putting in a LOCAL clock with a really high
>> stratum number, if the machine loses its other peers, its overall stratum
>> number goes high and other hosts know not rely on it too heavily.
>
> Yeah I s'pose you're right.  By shoving it up to 10 you'd hope other
> peers would cheerily ignore it, just weird to think if you roll out
> 100 of these boxes they'd all be pointing to each other as peers :-)
> Luckily the ntp pool project should help prevent those scenarios.

At work, where I have a bunch of machines to keep happy, I picked 3
reliable servers to serve as local stratum 2 NTP servers.  They all have
an external stratum 1 time server elsewhere on campus as a peer, and
they're also all peered to each other.  All the other machines list
these three as peers.  The idea is if the external reference is lost and
the time begins to drift, the machines will at least stay in sync
relative to each other.  Using three means, at least in theory, that if
one goes bonkers the other two can outvote it.