[mythtv-users] control mythfrontend from another machine?

Mark Garland mythtvusers at markgarland.co.uk
Sun Oct 18 17:36:48 UTC 2009

> TightVNC cannot attach to an existing X11 server.  RealVNC 4.x and
> x11vnc both have this capacity, but TightVNC requires you to start its
> own server.  Further, TightVNC on linux does not have a GUI, besides a
> very simple text entry box on the viewer to input the address and
> password.  I have absolutely no idea where you would 'enable Remote
> Desktop'.

Hi all,

I use VNC to access a frontend frequently.

I think "enable Remote Desktop" is referring to something his distro
provides.  On my frontend (Ubuntu/Gnome) I've enabled it through the menus
at the top (happy to supply specifics though probably available through
googling).

I'd second what you have said above - TightVNC would not be a good choice if
you wish to control the actual frontend seen on screen at the frontend
machine.  If this is what they want, they should use the other options you
have suggested.
Though, if the computer in question doesn't have a screen and is only ever
accessed remotely, then TightVNC could be an option.

Finally, probably goes without saying, but trying to watch anything over VNC
isn't advisable.  The bandwidth required would be immense.

Hope that helps,

MG