[mythtv-users] Zotac ION + NTP clock too fast?

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at computer.org
Sat Oct 17 09:44:10 UTC 2009

Brian Long wrote:
> I've noticed my Zotac IONITX-C frontend is configured to use 3 NTP servers,
> but it's time is increasing too quickly.  Last night, I disabled NTP, ran
> ntpdate a few times, verified it was the same time as my MBE, then started
> NTP again.  By this morning, it was 3 minutes ahead.  Has anyone else
> noticed their ION box running too fast?
>
> The ION is PXE-booting Fedora 11 i386 and NFS mounting root over NFS.  The
> /var/lib/ntp/drift file is part of the host-specific snapshot directory and
> is writable.  I've not yet enabled ntpd debug messages to see if I can
> narrow down the problem.  Thanks for any feedback.

Brian,

Ask your question on comp.protocols.time.ntp.

Meanwhile, have a look at what's in your drift file. If the number is close to 500 or -500, delete the file and restart ntpd.

If after some time (an hour or two) the file contains such a large number again, the frequency of the clock on your motherboard is too far off for ntpd to be able to correct it. Either that or you are losing interrupts (unlikely).

Jan