[mythtv-users] XBMC questions

Christopher Meredith chmeredith at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 04:33:44 UTC 2009

On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 10:08 PM, Phill Edwards <philledwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> Funny the things you pick up from reading these posts. I'm not even a
> Ubuntu guy (I'm on CentOS and use Axel's excellent RPM repos) but I
> read a post called "Import Announcement for people using my Ubuntu
> repository" post because it mentioned 0.22 - and hey presto I learn
> that quite a few folks seem to be using XBMC as a frontend. I couldn't
> get this up and running on my machine so haven't had a chance to try
> it out. One of the posts said "We have all our movies, TV shows and
> music on XBMC and use MythFrontend for TV only. I will look into XBMC
> universal so hopefully I can use XBMC for everything including
> TV/recording watching and relegate Myth to backend services only".
>
> Does that mean that quite of a few of you are using the XBMC frontend
> for almost everything?
> What's your feedback?
> And does it all work with a remote control?
> And does anyone have it working on CentOS 5.x?
>
> Regards,
> Phill

I'm in that category too. I use XBMC for everything except live TV. I
even have a script that cuts commercials from recordings and moves
them into the XBMC database. I think, though, that once MythUI takes
off, that will change. XBMC currently has Myth beaten hands down in
the UI department, but like I said, the playing field will soon be
leveled, I think.

I use an RF keyboard so no lirc here. I compile Myth and XBMC from
source, though I am running it on Ubuntu.