[mythtv-users] Hardware for Over the Air Digital

LuKreme kremels at kreme.com
Thu Oct 15 20:37:09 UTC 2009

First post, be kind.

I have a new install of mythbuntu that I am playing with, and if I can
do it on the cheap, I would like to get a capture card to capture over-
the-air broadcast HD, preferably a card that can capture two feeds

I read the "Will this setup record HD from over the air?" and the "USA
recommendations for Digital Over the Air Capture Card" threads from
the gossamer-threads archive but I still have questions.

My machine is pretty hearty for this, a core 2 duo with a couple of
gigs of RAM and 1.25TB of space. I also have a MacPro server with 7TB
that is networked, though I don't think I'd want to write streams to
the network.

Anyway, the mother board is a P5L-MX with only three PCI slots, but
all are open (for certain values of 'open').

I do not have satellite, cable, or an antenna right now. All my video
comes straight off my broadband cable.

All that I want to 'record' is the over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (ATSC?
what's that stand for?). While I currently only care about a maximum
of two feeds, it might be nice during something like the Olympics to
have more recording capability, so something I could expand to four
feeds might be worth looking into.

I'm hesitant about the HDHomeRun simply because I don't want another
box, but if that's clearly the best choice I am willing to reconsider.
On the other hand, I guess with the HDHomeRun I could simply dump the
streams to the server in the first place, so that is an option.

Oh, and I also am going to want to reencode the MPEG-2 streams to h.
264 (720p), though I expect to do that on the MacPro since it's a much
faster machine. However, if anyone has any suggestions along those
lines, I'm all ears.

(My projector cannot do 1080p, so I see no point in keeping around
large MPEG2 1080 files just to take up space).

These budget numbers are not just estimates, these are the actual
	results for the fiscal year that ended February the 30th.
	- GWB