[mythtv-users] How do I shutdown mythbuntu 9.04 FE without keyboard and mouse?

Craig Huff huffcslists at gmail.com
Thu Oct 15 03:41:36 UTC 2009

Since migrating from FC6/mythtv 0.21 to mythbuntu 9.04, I have been
working on and eventually fixing a number of distractions.

This is one I haven't been able to resolve.  The FE is started up thru
mythwelcome and automatically starts mythfrontend just fine.  However,
unlike with myth 0.21, the exit dialog for mythfrontend does not
include a shutdown option.  Fine, I thought, I'll just go to the menu
in mythwelcome and choose "Shutdown Now".  No dice.  It either comes
back with "No, I won't, the backend is busy recording" or just ignore
me (I think I still need to do some more work with sudoers to allow
shutdown without a password).  When I exit, I'm left with a mythbuntu
desktop that does nothing with the remote.  I have to have a keyboard
and mouse to get to the exit menu and select thru two or three dialogs
to get the FE shut off.  Not cool.

I want to shutdown just the FE without doing anything to the BE, and
do it with the remote.  How do I get this set up?  Is there some
option in mythwelcome, mythfrontend settings, or in mythtv-setup that
I need to change/correct?

Any advice welcome.

Craig.