[mythtv-users] Signal strength tracking over time

mythtv at blandford.net mythtv at blandford.net
Wed Oct 14 18:30:23 UTC 2009

On 10/07/2009 08:04 AM, Ian Clark wrote:

> 2009/10/7 Matt Mossholder <matt at mossholder.com <mailto:matt at mossholder.com>>
>
>     Is there any sort of solution out there that tracks signal strength of
>     tuned channels over time? I've been having sporadic corruption in
>     recorded streams, and it would be really handy to be able to go back
>     and see if it was a signal strength issue, or some sort of issue on
>     the backend making the recording. If not, I can code up a script, but
>     if someone else has something... you get the idea :)
>
> I don't know of anything, but if you're willing to code a script then
> take a look at munin, that will draw lots of pretty graphs for various
> things over time. It's dead easy to add a plugin for anything you want
> (as they're just shellscripts.)
>
> http://munin.projects.linpro.no/

I would be interested in seeing something like this.

I recently had some poor recording and I tracked it to signal strength.
  The symbol quality was cycling from 40%-80%.  After rebooting my
hdhomerun the issue went a way and I get a 95% symbol qualify.  It would
have been nice to have this monitored in some fashion.

I too am using munin.  I guess I would just like some insight on how
best to do this.  I am assuming I would poll the hdhomerun for every
channel that I receive periodically, and then graph those results.

I wonder how often is often enough and how much is too much.

Michael