[mythtv-users] Seektable issues

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Oct 14 15:54:37 UTC 2009

On 10/14/2009 08:43 AM, Phil Bridges wrote:
> Sunday, my database borked up royally - enough to cause mysql to not
> restart.  The table most messed-up contained my seektables.
>
> I did the time-consuming mythcommflag --rebuild --all; it took a
> couple of days to do all my files.  Last night, I started a couple of
> shows I recorded before the database failure.  The playback appeared
> fine - until I tried to skip forward and backward.  Sometimes, the
> backward skip would skip 5 seconds (my default), other times it would
> skip back a minute or so.  The same oddity was happening with forward
> skip.  I looked at the progress bar for the show (Fringe, on Fox
> 720p), and it said the show length was about 20 minutes.  I presume
> this was part of my problem.  I looked a sample of other shows, and
> the same thing was occurring.  In addition, the commercial skipping
> wasn't working.
>
> Does anybody know what would cause the mythcommflag rebuild to do
> this, and how I can fix it?

--all does not work for seektable rebuilds (at least not in 0.21-fixes;
it's "supposed to" in trunk, but I've never tested).  So, you actually
just scanned for commercials on every single recording.

Also, in 0.21-fixes, mythcommflag --rebuild does not work for (nearly
all) MPEG-2.  You need to use mythtranscode --buildindex.

You need to run the command on every single recording individually.
Note, also, that --queue does not work with --rebuild.  Therefore, run a
script...

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Repairing_the_Seektable

cd /path/to/first/recordings/directory
for file in *; do
  mythtranscode --mpeg2 --buildindex --allkeys \
                --showprogress --infile $file
done
cd /path/to/next/recordings/directory

(and so on)