[mythtv-users] HDMI audio help

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Oct 13 19:52:11 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 07:18:59AM -0700, Michael Drons wrote:
> mythfe tmp # aplay -L
> front:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>     HDA NVidia, HDA Generic
>     Front speakers
> surround40:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>     HDA NVidia, HDA Generic
>     4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
> surround41:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>     HDA NVidia, HDA Generic
>     4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
> surround50:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>     HDA NVidia, HDA Generic
>     5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
> surround51:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>     HDA NVidia, HDA Generic
>     5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
> surround71:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
>     HDA NVidia, HDA Generic
>     7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers null
>     Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)

   My ION 230 also outputs the following when you run aplay -L

hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, NVIDIA HDMI
    HDMI Audio Output

   I wonder if you have something misconfigured in the BIOS.

   "aplay -l" will show you what you need to know in terms of
card id's and device ids for tweaking the .asoundrc file.

card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC662 Analog [ALC662 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

  There should be a mixer device called IEC958 and it should be unmuted.

My ION 230 box has no low level audio related "tweaks" (IOW, no extra module
parameters). The only change I've made in the system sound configuration is
an .asoundrc file for my mythtv user.