[mythtv-users] HDMI audio help

Ben Lancaster mail at benlancaster.co.uk
Tue Oct 13 13:44:38 UTC 2009

> Yes I have read that Howto.
>
> I have Internal + External enabled in the BIOS.
> ALSA is 1.0.20
> Kernel is 2.6.31
>
> mythfe ~ # cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
> NVRM version: NVIDIA UNIX x86 Kernel Module  185.18.31  Tue Jul 28
> 15:43:22 PDT 2009
> GCC version:  gcc version 4.4.1 (Gentoo 4.4.1 p1.0)
>
> I do not get aIEC958 Playback  device..  See below.
>
> mythfe ~ # aplay -l
> card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC662 rev1 Analog [ALC662
> rev1 Analog]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC662 rev1 Digital [ALC662
> rev1 Digital]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>
> I have believe I have the correct modules loaded.
>

> Thanks for the help, Mike

Hey

Try `aplay -L` to get a full list of available devices by name as -l
only shows you the cards not actual devices the card will accept, you
should see iec958 in there if it's available.

Does your mainboard have an onboard Intel HDA device? I could never
get the stuff on the video card to work, but mine has an
(undocumented) SPDIF connector, which I connected to the Intel HDA
SPDIF connector on the board. My asoundrc is as follows:

pcm.dmixer {
type dmix
ipc_key 1024
ipc_key_add_uid false
ipc_perm 0660
slave {
pcm "hw:0,3"
rate 48000
channels 2
period_time 0
period_size 1024
buffer_time 0
buffer_size 4096
}
}

pcm.!default {
type plug
slave.pcm "dmixer"
}

I also had to go through the Gnome audio prefences and set all audio
output to use the digital device to ensure that all applications use
the digital device and not the analogue one. Mythtv is set to use
ALSA:cards.pcm.iec958 for audio and ALSA:iec958:{ AES0 0x02 } for
passthru, and it works a charm - AC3/DTS passthrough, as well as rate
switching between 44100 and 48000 depending on the source (CD or Live
TV)

Hope that helps.

Ben