[mythtv-users] cant get mysql to work

Tim Urben j.stack746 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 00:03:33 UTC 2009

I was following a couple of different wiki's and I think the reason I am
having so much trouble is that there are so many different versions and
distros of linux that its hard to write exact directions for something.

I installed it directly from atrpms .. I seem to remember it had some
problems with the install esp pertaining to "mythconverg" but seeing as
though it took me like 3 days to figure out how to get mythtv to install at
all I was happy and proceeded to continue with the setup. It would seem like
mythtv is ALMOST working at least in a basic form its just that it cannot
connect to the database.

It goes to the Console and continually tries to connect to the database to
no avail.

It would seem there are some issues with permissions too it wont let me
access mysql from root at all.. and for some reason it instructed making
mythtv accounts.. I really dont understand the reasoning behind most of the
wiki.

The one Ive been following has been the one on wilsonet.com/mythtv seeing as
it deals with fedora versions of mythtv. I did however notice that it doesnt
seem to extend to fedora 11.

I could always take the easy way out and just install mythdora but I am
wanting to learn as much as possible..

please let me know if I still havent given you enough information to help
and perhaps what information you would require..

Thanks so much,
                      Tim