[mythtv-users] Hiccups in the sound and small pauses

Jonas Kvinge linuxtv at closetothewind.net
Mon Oct 12 17:21:43 UTC 2009

OJ wrote:
> 2009/10/8 Jonas Kvinge <linuxtv at closetothewind.net>:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a problem with hiccups in the sound and small pauses, it's on
>> almost all SD chanenls (if not all), HD channels are working fine for
>> some strange reason, it looks like a bad signal but I dont think it is.
>> Sometimes I get "Video frame buffer failed too many times" and MythTV
>> throws me back at the menu. It can work fine for 15 Minutes and come
>> back. Sometimes it happen frequently and other times it can happen with
>> many minutes between.
>
> Have you found any solution to this problem? I have a _very_ similar
> problem. I either get "Video frame buffer failed too many times" or I
> get a Segfault.

I have not figured it out but I have ruled out most things. I Have been
adjusting the dish  several times, the signal seem to be perfect.. I
don't think it could be a signal problem anyway since the HD channels
are perfect. WHen I first set up this card I had some minor problems
with artefacts on HD channels then it helped to adjust the dish a bit,
but now I Have a better signal than I ever had. It seems more logical
that the HD channels would require a better signal.

I think it has to be the changes done to the transponders in combination
with the linux drivers not handling those transponders properly.  I
don't think it's a codec problem or mythtv problem since I've tried to
downgrade and change playback profiles to use different codec. It's
really frustrating since I have put so much money and time into this and
even more frustrating since it was working fine a few weeks ago. I also
have a Technotrend S-3200 card which I can try, I was using that before
but it had too many driver problems so I switched to the Hauppauge card.
I will try to switch to the old card one of these days but right now I'm
too exhausted with alll of this.

It would be interesting to know if you are using the same card as me and
perhaps what satellite you are using. Are you receiving HD channels fine?

Jonas