[mythtv-users] Watching HD Programs

George Galt george.galt at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 13:26:04 UTC 2009

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 9:19 AM, Vidal Sainz <vidal at lanwantech.net> wrote:
> I have an unusual problem watching HD content that I am hoping someone can
> help me with.  I have 2 HD tuners in my mythtv box, an hd5500 and and
> hvr-1600.  Whenever I use either of these tuners to record or watch a
> program on ABC the audio is kinda choppy and the video seems to be playing
> at a slightly slower speed than normal.  The funny part if that I can watch
> the recorded programs on my PS3 via UPNP or on my PC using Mythtv Player
> with absolutely no problem.  I dont have these problems with any other HD
> channels.
>
> I use to think this was due to lack of CPU but I have upgraded to a Dual
> Core proc and added a second HD tuner, but am still having the problem.  I
> have tried using all the Playback profiles and have had no luck correcting
> this.  Hopefully someone out there has some idea of what could be wrong.
>
> BTW...  I am using Mythtv .21 with a pretty recent build from SVN.  This
> problem has also persisted through several SVN upgrades...

Vidal:

Have you tried running top or something else to see what CPU usage is?
 How much memory do you have?  Is it being used up by something (my
usual culprit is firefox!)

One other place to look is disk throughput.  I was having some trouble
with Mysql a while back that was causing choppy playback.
SchedulesDirect was setting the update time right in the middle of
prime viewing time, and the combination of updating all of the
schedules and showing HD -- and occasionally even SD -- was too much.
It wasn't really the CPU or memory that was the problem, but the bus
was being overloaded with all of the data moving around.

I've heard that there is some way to move mysql and the myth database
onto another machine, but I've never looked into it.

George