[mythtv-users] Howto for properly going from Comcast Analog to Digital

Marc MERLIN marc_mtv at merlins.org
Mon Oct 12 06:12:54 UTC 2009

So yes, I know they switched back in May (I'm in Cupertino, CA).
I kind of hacked things up back then after doing an hdhomerun rescan, and
hand mapped some channels, but things just aren't that great.

I want to clean this up now.

Problem #1:
I have not found a way to tell myth that my analog channels between 30-ish
to the end on my analog tuners, are just gone.
When I try to delete the channels from the channels DB through phpmyadmin,
it looks like those channels have come back somehow.
Then, I tried to tell schedulesdirect not to feed me channel data for them,
but that's no good either because I have 107.5 hand mapped to the xmlid of
comedy central which is channel 63 in comcast digital as far as
scheduledirect is concerned, if I remove that, mythtv stops getting the
xmlid of comedycentral and stops recording anything on 107.5
So, how does one handle that?

Problem #2:
How can I manually add channels that hdhomerun/mythtv does not thing I have
without doing a full rescan/remap/rename in mythtv-setup?
For instance, I scanned my QAM channels by hand on my QAM capable TV, and it
gets 86.9, but mythfrontend doesn't have any such channel to tune. What
gives? (similarly, it won't let me tune 85.13 (SciFi argh Syfy). I suppose
the channels weren't there when I last did a full scan in May, I'm just kind
of scared of doing a mythtv-setup full scan and wipe the channel mappings I
hand entered.

Question #3:
If I manually fix channels in the channels DB, do I really need to do it
twice, once for each of my 2 hdhomerun tuners?

Question #4:
Is my answer just to effectively delete all my hdhomerun channels in the
channelsdb and somehow refeed them through scte65scan's output?
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Comcast_Users_And_scte65scan
(does that output just take care of fixing channel to xmlid mappings, or
does it actually recreate the channels if I remove them all?)
Does scte65scan even include all my channels or just the ones it knows about
(which would mean that deleting all my data does not guarantee I'll get it
all repopulated properly)

If that helps, I'll paste the manual mapping I did for Comcast, Cupertino,
CA 95014 (although I'm at the border of south Sunnyvale 94087 and Los Altos)

Thanks much,
Marc

Broadcast:
 2.1 = KTVU/FOX -> KTVUDT (19571)  -> 702 comcast
 2.2 = LATV     -> KTVUDT2 (50439)
 4.2 = KRON/MyNetTV KRONDT2 (20547) > 704 comcast
 5.1 = KPIX/CBS -> KPIXDT (19572)  -> 705 comcast
 7.1 = KGO/ABC  -> KGODT (19574)   -> 707 comcast
 7.2 = ABC Misc  > KGODT2 (30833)
 7.3 = ABC Weather>KGODT3 (49937)
 9.1 = KQED/PBS  > KQEDHD (53122)  -> 709 comcast
 9.2 = KQED/Life > KQEDDT2 (30507) -> 189 comcast
11.1 = KNTV/NBC11> KNTVDT (21785)  -> 703 comcast
11.2 = NBC Weather>KNTVDT2 (36151)
36.1 = C-SPAN/KICU>KICUDT (21650)  -> 706 comcast
36.2 = KTVN korean>KICUDT2 (50459) -> 197 comcast
44.1 = KBCW 44/cab12>KBCWDT (19575) > 712 comcast

QAM:
60.1 KCSM
65.1 ION KKP
66.1 KFSF SP
68.1 KTLN
78.1 ABC Family
78.2 Fox News
78.3 CMT
78.4 Food
78.5 MSNBC
78.6 Disney
78.7 USA
78.9 A&E
78.10 FX
78.11 Lifetime
78.12 AMC
84.2 TV36
84.3 Telemundo
84.4 KTEH
84.5 Ion TV
84.6 Comcast Sportnet
84.7 TNT
84.8 ESPN
84.9 ESPN2
84.10 Compcast Sportnet
84.11 TBS
85.3 Hallmark
85.4 TruTV
85.13 Syfy (Scifi)	24533
86.9 History
86.10 Bravo
86.11 HGTV
86.14 TV Land
86.15 SPN
88.1 PBS Sprout
88.13 Some kind of official state channel?
89.2 Bio
89.3 History International
89.4 LMN
89.10 VS