[mythtv-users] Latest Mythbuntu weekly build broke my backend

John Hoyt john.hoyt at gmail.com
Sun Oct 11 21:04:34 UTC 2009

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 5:02 PM, John Hoyt <john.hoyt at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Mythbuntu 9.04 box, using the testing repos to run 0.22.
>>
>> Every weekend I run an upgrade via apt-get on my master BE to keep it up
>> to date. This week, however, I seem to have run into issues. I updated,
>> rebooted and tried a manual mythfilldatabase but received the following:
>>
>> 2009-10-11 13:27:37.091 Using configuration directory = /home/matt/.mythtv
>> 2009-10-11 13:27:37.091 Application binary version (0.22.20090928-1) does
>> not match libraries (0.22.20091008-1)
>> 2009-10-11 13:27:37.091 This application is not compatible with the
>> installed MythTV libraries. Please recompile after a make distclean
>> 2009-10-11 13:27:37.092 Failed to init MythContext, exiting.
>>
>> Upon further review, my backend process was not running and trying to
>> start it manually gave me the same error. I then tried another apt-get
>> update / apt-get upgrade to see if something just didn't update that I
>> overlooked, and received the following:
>>
>> matt at magicbe:/etc/init.d$ sudo apt-get upgrade
>> Reading package lists... Done
>> Building dependency tree
>> Reading state information... Done
>> The following packages have been kept back:
>>   mythtv-backend mythtv-backend-master mythtv-common mythtv-database
>> mythtv-transcode-utils
>> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 5 not upgraded.
>>
>> I'll be the first to say that I am somewhat terrible with the joys of
>> apt-get, so I was hoping somebody would know why these packages were held
>> back, and what could be done about it.
>>
>> Here are my mythbuntu repos:
>> :/etc/apt/sources.list.d/mythbuntu-repos.list:
>> deb http://weeklybuilds.mythbuntu.org/mythbuntu/trunk-0.22/ubuntu jaunty
>> main
>> deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/mythbuntu/testing/ubuntu jaunty main

> Uninstall all of the myth-themes as they are from an older package, once
> they are all uninstalled do the upgrade over.  The mythbuntu guys stopped
> packaging the themes independently a week or so ago and caused this issue on
> my machine as well.  Once you get mythtv-common and the other packages
> updated, your backend "should" work again.

Also, on a side note, make sure to be up to date (i.e. read the mailing list
and ALL revisions) with what release of trunk the mythbuntu guys have in the
repo.  A week ago their automated tools picked a release that had different
version of the communication protocol for myth backend, frontend, and
plugins and hose my system up for a day.