[mythtv-users] Migrating recordings to a NAS

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Sun Oct 11 11:58:23 UTC 2009

On Sun, Oct 11, 2009 at 10:22 PM, William <william_munson at comcast.net>wrote:

> Christopher Kerr wrote:
>
>> OK, I'm starting to get an idea about how I can get this to work, which
>> I'll detail here if I ever do get it together.
>>
>> A quick query about Auto-expire: My understanding is that the auto-expire
>> thread runs every couple of minutes, at least every 3 minutes and at most
>> every 15. So if I have my auto-expire set to preserve, say, 5GB of free
>> space, and I copy something to the drive myself which pushes the stored data
>> past that threshold, recordings should get deleted in accordance with
>> auto-expire after 15 minutes, regardless of whether I've scheduled anything
>> to record there. Is that correct?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Chris Kerr
>>

> Not quite true. It will only delete files to make more room if its actually
> recording something. If not, you will run out of room. The thread only runs
> when something is recording. This is a sucky feature of myth. I have to keep
> 50 gigs free to allow me to transfer large files to the NAS without running
> out of room.

Pest, that's what I was worried about. Not a big deal - the local drive has
storage for ~150 hours of SD, which has always proven sufficient up until
now. I'll just have to work out an extra bit of script to notify me (perhaps
by email) when the NAS is full, with the local drive taking up the slack
until I get around to clearing some space. No problem, since the archive
script will have to check for free space before attempting to move anything
anyway.