[mythtv-users] Migrating recordings to a NAS

Christopher Kerr mythtv at theseekerr.com
Sat Oct 10 09:03:55 UTC 2009

Hi,

Currently, I'm using a combined BE/FE machine. It works well, but hard drive
noise, heat and capacity are issues. In a bid to reduce these problems, I
want to set up a system such that shows will be recorded to the local hard
drive, then later migrated to NAS. This should have the additional benefit
of reducing cases where the local hard drive is being used to simultaneously
record and play back.

Essentially, I'm wondering if it's possible to create a script/combination
of scripts which would perform the following:

1. Check if any recordings are being used, or have jobs scheduled
2. Check if there is space available in the "Remote" storage group
3. Move available recordings from the "Local" storage group to the "Remote"
storage group

Additionally, it'd be good if recordings in the "Remote" storage group could
still have Myth's auto-expire functionality applied (so the drive wouldn't
fill up entirely) despite the fact that recordings will never be scheduled
against it directly.

Any advice would be appreciated. My experience in writing scripts for linux
is minimal, but I have some basic programming experience.

Thanks,
Chris Kerr