[mythtv-users] Problems with Watching Recordings on Mac OS Mythfrontend

TJ Harris tjharris at weaselworkz.com
Thu Oct 8 15:43:52 UTC 2009

On Wed, Oct 7, 2009 at 2:01 PM, Alessandro
<alessandro.campobassi at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I'm trying to get a Mythfrontend for Mac OS working.
>>> I have setup Mplayer fine for videos etc, and the internal player is
>>> ok watching Live TV, but I can't watch any previous recordings.
>>>
>>> - Live TV works fine.
>>> - Mythvideo works fine, got it playing files via nfs mount using mplayer
>>> - Can see the recordings all listed correctly in watch recordings
>>> screen but when try to play them just get blank screen for couple
>>> seconds and it's back to the watch recording screen again.
>>> - tried the streaming/non streaming via backend options and neither
>>> makes any difference.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any ideas on what might be wrong here?
>>> I'm running the Mythfrontend for Mac 0.21 from
>>> http://macvana.com/mythtv/RELEASES/
>>
>> 0.21 is quite old.  Is that the same version as your backend?   I use
>> 0.21-fixes, on my Mac frontend.
>>
>> To debug problems, I start mythfrontend via a terminal session, with
>> the verbose debugging enabled.  For example: MythFrontEnd -v playback
>> That should give you more detail on what is failing.    The actual
>> executable will be located at: MythFrontend.app/Contents/MacOS
>

> I'm now running the 0.21-fixes.
> I ran from the terminal session, and this time it is saying the 'the
> File for this recording cannot be found' - yet I know it is there and
> working as my linux front-end on another laptop can access, and play
> the recordings just fine.

I had similar behavior on a Linux frontend a couple weeks ago.   I was
trying MythBuntu from a Live-CD, and I got a very similar error
message.  The problem for me (and I found several other threads with
similar problem/fix) was that the time zone was incorrect on the
frontend.   Once I set the time zone to match the backend it worked
fine.    I am not sure why that would be,  or whether this applies to
the Mac frontend.