[mythtv-users] Graphite theme slow in "Watch Recordings"

myShade myshade at bredband.net
Thu Oct 8 15:04:13 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-10-08 at 07:17 -0700, Jim Stichnoth wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 7:05 AM, Jim Morton <Jim at morton.hrcoxmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > myShade wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi all..
> >>
> >> I've been using Grapite since commited to trunk.
> >> All been fine except for entering the "Watch Recording" screen, also
> >> move between recorded shows has latency of ~5sec.
> >>
> >> So ive been looking for commits to improve this, which were a couple of
> >> days ago, but no change.
> >>
> >> Today i tried mythbuntu-theme commited and was surprised how fast it
> >> was.
> >> Then i tried Terra, which has somewhat similar layout as Graphite.
> >> Terra also proved speed of light compared to Graphite.
> >>
> >> I deleted themecache for Graphite, with no change.
> >>
> >> I followed this list about slow loads, first entering etc.... But thats
> >> not it. It dead slow all the time, going back and forth between shows.
> >>
> >> Any other suggestions? My screen is 1920x1080.
> >>
> >> Br Fredrik
> >>

> > Others have said that changing to QT painter instead of OpenGL has worked.
> >
> > --
> >

> I see something similar, except that for me, Graphite and mythbuntu
> are slow, and metallurgy and blue-abstract are fast, when moving
> between recorded programs.  It doesn't matter whether I use the QT or
> OpenGL painter.
>
> I watched the output of "top" while this was happening on the slow
> themes.  Each time I moved to a different recording, the mythbackend
> process would pop up.  I think it's being used to regenerate a preview
> image for the recording, and apparently it's either not caching the
> preview image, or not recognizing that the preview image is already
> cached.
>
> This is on an ION system, which is of course slower than modern
> systems so performance issues like this show up more.
>
> Jim

I've observed something similar, when mythfrontend is in "Watch
Recordings" and i switch viritual desktop and browse or something.
CPU goes 100% and the system reboots after some time :)
(My fan has limited RPM'S)
"off topic", im thinking of a ION frontend, but reading about
performance issues of mythtv.
But does other heavy doings like using firefox, ooffice, evolution,
gimp, kde-desktop suffer noticable with ION?