[mythtv-users] FM Radio on MythTV

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Oct 7 16:51:04 UTC 2009

On 10/07/2009 12:23 PM, Anthony R. Baker wrote:
> From: "Michael T. Dean"
>> On 10/07/2009 08:31 AM, Jos Hoekstra wrote:
>>> MythFM used to be available in the past, I guess noone is developing it
>>> anymore.
>> Right, and Myth has no support for FM radio.  Many ask for it, so feel
>> free to work on it.  If interested, ask for some pointers (as there are
>> specific requirements for how it should be implemented if you want it to
>> become an official part of MythTV--versus a 3rd party plugin you'd be
>> responsible for maintaining "forever").
>>> If you're using an ivtv-card with FM-tuner, you could try to use a
>>> ivtv-utility to tune and something like alsaplayer or mplayer to play it.
>> If you do this, make sure you use EXECTV to start the player.  EXECTV
>> will tell Myth that the tuner is in use so it won't use any of the
>> card's inputs for recording TV (which means you /will/ get conflicts if
>> that card is needed to record your TV schedules).  If you'd prefer for
>> your TV tuner cards to be used for, er, TV tuning, get a separate FM
>> tuner card (that wouldn't be useful to Myth) and use it for FM radio.
>     Did anyone look at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Fm_radio ? It doesn't
> record but it used to work.

Note the:

Warning: The following code is wrong. Instead of using EXEC, the
<action> should use EXECTV, which will pass as an argument to the script
the video device that should be used. Then, the script mythfm should be
modified to use the argument to detect which card should be used and
tune the radio on that card. By using EXECTV, the <action> tells MythTV
that the tuner it provides is not available for any recordings.

Mike