[mythtv-users] Possibly OT: Watched Recordings locking up

James Oltman cnlibmyth at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 13:38:04 UTC 2009

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 12:13 PM, James Oltman <cnlibmyth at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am having an issue with a new FE build.  To start, it's an Optiplex 760
> w/ Mythbuntu 9.04 x64.  It is using an Intel onboard video:
>
> 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset
> Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
>
> And a Creative Audigy 5.1 with SPDIF out:
>
> 03:02.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy (rev 03)
>
> For the video, I'm using the method posted here for drivers:

> This has been giving me a great video experience, that is, until a couple
> days ago.  I was watching a recording off of my HD PBS channel (47.1).  It
> was the National Parks special.  I had watched a few episodes without
> issue.  At one point during a recording, the recording just stopped
> playing.  I tried to bring up the INFO display and it didn't come up.  I
> tried to ping the FE, and it did respond.  So I assumed it was something
> else.  Possibly the recording was screwy.  The FE finally stopped the
> recording, and I was able to start the recording over again.  Then the next
> night, it happened again.  Then today it's happened a couple times but this
> time on a 30 minute non-HD (but digital channel 47.3) recording.  So I tried
> the ping, and it responded fine.  However, I tried to SSH and VNC into the
> FE, and it didn't respond.  I looked at dmesg and the messages log and they
> didn't show any errors.  So I thought, maybe it was something with the FE.
> I ran a:
>
> mythfrontend -v all -l /home/user/mfe.log
>
> And that's not showing any errors.  The FE finally stopped the playback and
> went back to the Recordings menu.  This hasn't happened on a different HD
> recording on a different digital channel (43.1).  Is this just possibly an
> error in the digital channels broadcast?  Does anyone have any ideas what
> this could be?  Any ideas on what other logs I could look at?  Thanks!
>
> Jim

Just as a follow up.  I've found that this also happens with MythMusic.  I
can be listening to music playing, when all of the sudden, it will stop.
However, after several minutes, the music starts back up again, right where
it left off.  I think this is related to my backend.  I have a huge torrent
running right now and I believe that the BE is having difficulties with too
many TCP connections.  Hopefully, this stops when the torrent is done.

Jim