[mythtv-users] Channel scanner suggestion

David Knight dlknight at sdf.lonestar.org
Mon Oct 5 10:47:59 UTC 2009

On Sun, October 4, 2009 7:52 pm, Jonas Kvinge wrote:
> Hello,
>
> There are a few things that bothers me about the channel scanner in
> recent revisions. There are hundred of channels but only a few that I
> really want in the EPG. The way I did it before was to uncheck "visible"
> for each channel I don't want. This way I could easily rescan all
> transponders and it would update the existing channels and add new ones
> and the unwanted channels would still be hidden. This way I did not have
> to delete every channel each time I do a new scan. I see that this has
> changed recently. All channels are now marked visible even if I
> previously have marked the channels not to be visible. It also updates
> channel number for existing channels which is also unwanted. Is this
> change intentional or will it be corrected? The preferred behaviour
> would be to have all new found channels marked invisible, maybe it could
> be created on option for this.
>
> All HD channels seem to be added once and sometimes twice for each
> channel scan instead of updating the existing channel. If you do ONE
> scan you would have two of the same HD channel, and if you rescan there
> are sometimes four of the same channel. I guess this is a bug.
>
> I'm using canal digital in Norway if that is relevant
> Channels are found here:
> http://www.telenorsbc.com/templates/Page.aspx?id=399
>
> Current trunk revision that I use is 22025
>
> Jonas

Hi Jonas,

   I use a modified copy of this mysql script -
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_editing_script. I have added my
"favourite" channels to the script to configure as required. The main
bit you are interested in however is the first line of SQL:

update channel set visible=0 ;

This configures all channels to be invisible, therefore you can then make
channels visible by adding the statement as below for each channel:

update channel set visible=1,channum=1,xmltvid="bbc1.bbc.co.uk" where
callsign="BBC ONE" ;

You can also add other general preferences to the first statement such as
whether to receive OTA schedule information.

Regards

Dave K.