[mythtv-users] OT: DIY Antennas in the attic, is a ground necessary?

Tom Flair tom at graniteskies.net
Mon Oct 5 04:06:29 UTC 2009

I've had a few issues recently with my OTA recordings from my HD Homerun
showing some distortion and breaking up entirely on a few stations.  Since
I've recently moved from an apartment to a house, I thought it might be a
good idea to upgrade my cheap, powered antenna with a DIY antenna.  (
http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2009/01/maker_workshop_dtv_antenna_steadyca.htmlis
the guide I followed)    I'm hoping this will cure the signal issues.

My current antenna is sitting above a joist in my basement, about 1' above
ground level sitting horizontally.  Since I need to venture into my attic
for other nefarious purposes anyway, I'd like to mount the new antenna in
the attic and run an RG6 line from the antenna back down to my demarcation
and HDHR.  My concern is whether or not I should be concerned with grounding
out the antenna since it will be in the attic and what I would connect the
ground to on the antenna itself.

Has anyone run into a similar situation?