[mythtv-users] Pedestrian LIRC question

jr jraymyth at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 18:49:42 UTC 2009

On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 1:50 PM, Jarod Wilson <jarod at wilsonet.com> wrote:
> On Oct 4, 2009, at 1:12 AM, jr wrote:
>
>> I thought that I was well beyond the mundane LIRC problems, but I seem
>> to be missing something in the steps that glue it to mythtv.  My
>> installation is 0.22 on Ubuntu 9.04, which I have installed nd wiped
>> on a test box several times over the past month with no problems.  I
>> hope I am missing something obvious.  Does anyone see anything?
>>
>> LIRC is working to the point were IRW reports correctly.
>> 000000037ff07be1 01 Up mceusb
>> 000000037ff07be1 02 Up mceusb
>> 000000037ff07be0 00 Down mceusb
>> 000000037ff07be0 01 Down mceusb
>> 000000037ff07bde 00 Right mceusb
>> 000000037ff07bde 01 Right mceusb
>>
>> I am running mythfrontend from the user 'mythuser' and have created
>> the standard symbolic link in the home directory to lircrc.  The same
>> lircrc that I have been using for over a year under prior MythTV
>> installs.
>
> What version of lirc? 0.8.6 creates the lircd socket as /var/run/lirc/lircd
> instead of /dev/lircd, and if you haven't got a symlink, mythtv will be
> lost, since it connects directly to the socket at /dev/lircd by default.
>
> --
> Jarod Wilson
> jarod at wilsonet.com

My LIRC version is version 0.8.4 and lircd seems to be in place.

mythuser at Firbolg:/etc/lirc$ ls /dev/lirc* -al
crw-rw---- 1 root root 61, 0 2009-10-04 13:13 /dev/lirc0
srw-rw-rw- 1 root root     0 2009-10-04 13:13 /dev/lircd

I am getting in my mythfrontend.log (sorry for missing it earlier)
2009-10-04 13:46:34.134 LIRC, Error: Failed to read config file
'/home/mythuser/.mythtv/lircrc'

mythuser at Firbolg:~/.mythtv$ ls /home/mythuser/.mythtv/lircrc -al
-rwxrw-r-- 1 mythuser mythtv 2776 2009-02-12 20:19 /home/mythuser/.mythtv/lircrc

I have been futzing around with the file owner a bit.  It started as:
-rw-r--r-- 1 mythuser mythuser 2776 2009-02-12 20:19
/home/mythuser/.mythtv/lircrc