[mythtv-users] permission issues

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 18:12:40 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I have been getting some weird permission issues lately.  I don't
think I have made any changes to my system that would have caused
this, but maybe something got updated to do so.

Basically, when I restart, the mythtv user loses access to a lot of
hardware components (sound, serial port, and video).

I have to manually go in as root and do the following:
chmod ugo+rw /dev/tty*  (so myth can change the channels over the serial port)
chmod ugo+rw /dev/snd* (so myth can output sound)
chmod ugo+rw /dev/video* (so myth can capture with my PVR-350)

Obviously, this is somewhat annoying, and somewhat baffling.  How do I
make these changes stick permanently through a reboot?  I don't care
if the mythtv user has access to the whole system; the box is behind a
firewall and I am not too concerned with security here.  I just want
to fix the issue.

Thanks