[mythtv-users] Any advice on upgrade path to mythtv .22 for debian users?

Eloy Paris peloy at chapus.net
Sat Oct 3 17:34:14 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 04:29:25PM -0400, Eric Sharkey wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 4:02 PM, Matt Beadon <matt.beadon at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  I'm keen to use .22 when it's released.
> >
> > So as I see it I have 3 options:
> > 1) do a dist upgrade from stable to testing and then wait for .22 to hit the
> > testing multimedia repo (anyone know how long that might take?)
>
> If you're keen to try new software and like Debian, I recommend going
> all the way to sid (unstable).
>
> Yes, it can be a little rough at times, but if you're reasonably
> competent and experienced, it's a pretty good place to be.
>
> I've been running on sid for maybe 10 years now and haven't had
> anything go seriously wrong.

+1

I have also run Debian unstable for 10+ years. I've seen occasional
breakage but it's usually easy to fix (one typically waits for a new
version of the package that caused the breakage, or downgrade the
affected package). For big migrations that take place in unstable you
can typically put on hold the packages affected by the migration, and
upgrade them a few weeks after the migration takes place and things are
stable.

I think that someone running Debian unstable needs to be proficient
using a package management frontend like dselect or aptitude
(note that dselect is currently broken in Debian unstable due to
http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=545366), and understand
well how package management works (dependencies, how to put packages on
hold, etc.)

I'm thinking that my strategy to move to 0.22 (from 0.21-fixes) will be
to wait until Christian Marillat produces 0.22 packages.

Cheers,

Eloy Paris.-