[mythtv-users] Fw: Intel/ION Lack of PCI Slots & Mythtv

Mark Sherborne msherborne at btinternet.com
Fri Oct 2 12:10:42 UTC 2009

--- On Fri, 2/10/09, Greg Cope <gregcope at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Greg Cope <gregcope at gmail.com>
> Subject: [mythtv-users] Intel/ION Lack of PCI Slots & Mythtv
> To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Date: Friday, 2 October, 2009, 10:03 AM
> Hi All,
>
> Looking at a replacement Myth box - present one is 5 years
> old and is
> displaying tin rot issues (random lock ups/reboots).
> My disks are
> also 4 years old.  However I am not one to replace
> will-nilly.  I also
> need to do an OS update.
>
> The ION platform looks like a good low power solution (this
> is
> important to me as I pay the bill), however with the Atom
> Intel seem
> to have put the kybosh on having more than one PCI slot -
> grh.
>
> The Nettops look like a good price, as you get a
> motherboard, ram, DVD
> drive, PSU for around £200 (motherboards alone are
> £100+).  However
> they have no PCI slots at all.  And I could throw in a
> USB disk
>
> I presently use 2 PCI Nova-T's and would like dual
> tuners.  I also
> have a Sat aerial and am thinking about DBV-S2 HD in the UK
> at some
> point.
My setup is an acer aspire revo with a 500GB external esata HDD for media and a tevii s650 dvb-s2 USB dongle and a hauppauge nova-t dvb-t stick; all works well with jyavenard's vdpau patched mythtv 0.21. Don't know about the nova-td though I haven't heard anything bad. I've had to fix the device names for the two cards as they swap randomly when the computer is booted, and mythtv can't cope with that (ie /dev/dvb/adapter0 could be either USB device)