[mythtv-users] Single WD GP disk fast enough for live 720p?

Marius Schrecker marius at schrecker.org
Mon Nov 30 19:47:06 UTC 2009

 On Mon Nov 30 17:06 , John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 4:57 AM, Marius Schrecker <marius at schrecker.org> wrote:
>>  Hi,
>>
>> I want to  upgrade the capacity of  the (single - no room for more) disk on
>> my combined FE/BE system, using HD-PVR capture.
>>
>> Ideally I'd like to go for a Western Digital GP 1.5 TB because of:
>>
>> Low power consumption/heat
>>
>> Low noise
>>
>I have the 2TB version and it actually seems faster than my Seagate
>7200.11 7200 RPM 750GB, 500GB and 320GB drives. I was very pleasantly
>surprised about that. Even seeks do not seem longer. And yes it works
>fine with 1080 HD.
>

>John

Thanks all.

It might be possible to work around the park issue by polling hddtemp or smartctl every 8 secs.

Would that be enough to keep it from parking without causing a seek, and cost as little system overhead as possible?

I don'r really feel like invalidating the warranty by using the deprecated dos utility.

Cheers!

Marius