No subject

Tue Nov 17 13:52:17 UTC 2009

is using. I haven't heard of it with any other brand of desktop drive. It's
quite common on Laptops though. You could try mounting with "noatime" to see
if that helps with the constant spin-down/spin-up issue.

--0016e64cd564a522cc047998c11e

Schrecker <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:marius at schrecker.org">mar=
" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0=
.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
=A0Bit of a B****er. The threads indicate that the behaviour can&#39;t be t=
urned off in Linux using hdparm (on my =A0WD15EADS for example), and the =
s. I have 4 in a RAIDZ (about 6months old) with 4 more on the way. Quiet, q=
uick (for 5400RPM), and low power use. If the WD drives don&#39;t work for =
you, I consider the Samsungs a good option. The reviews for the more recent=
 Seagates seem pretty good as well, the 1.5TB LP drives look pretty good on=
 Newegg. I&#39;m still a little wary of Seagate due to the handling of the =
1.5TB firmware bug a while back. Not so much that it existed, but that they=
 tried to tell everyone it wasn&#39;t happening. It irritates me when a ven=
dor lies to me. <br>
g that WD is using. I haven&#39;t heard of it with any other brand of deskt=
op drive. It&#39;s quite common on Laptops though. You could try mounting w=
ith &quot;noatime&quot; to see if that helps with the constant spin-down/sp=
in-up issue. <br>

--0016e64cd564a522cc047998c11e--