[mythtv-users] Best latest Ion Boards?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Mon Nov 30 14:57:43 UTC 2009

On Nov 30, 2009, at 9:52 AM, Andrew Close wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 8:44 AM, Tom Lichti <redpepperracing at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 12:02 AM, Brad Fuller <bradallenfuller at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Jarod and Tom
>>> Thanks for the input. Very helpfl!
>>>
>>> What do people use for remote control on an ION board?
>>
>> I have two USB based MCE clone/compatible remotes, and they work
>> fantastically. FC10 (and I presume anything higher) LIRC automatically
>> sees it, and using the MCE config file, I don't have to do anything
>> other than modify the MythTV lircrc file to match up. I paid around
>> $30 CDN for one. It is the Mediagate GP-IR01BK.
>
> Tom, is that for the remote, the USB I/R dongle, or both?

Both.

> i currently have a Logitech Harmony 670 as my remote and i'm using the
> I/R receiver that came with my PVR-250.  but in my new ION F/E (that
> should arrive today :) i won't have room for the PVR-250, so no I/R
> receiver.
> initially i'm planning on trying to use the I/R receiver that's built
> into my HDHR, but i've heard that's tricky to get working and then a
> so-so solution...

For what its worth to ya, the mce usb transceivers have far and away the best reception of any IR thingamajig I've played with, and they're pretty much a no-brainer to set up. As an added bonus, they work with pretty much every IR protocol and at any common IR carrier frequency, so while you may opt to reprogram your harmony remote using an mce remote profile, its most likely not required.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com