[mythtv-users] Tuning problems with 0.22

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Nov 30 12:27:20 UTC 2009

Mike Dent wrote:
> Hmm, I saw a post a while ago about adding the muxes manually (for
> Winter Hill), which I
> did try at one point but it found no channels at all with them.
>> The channel scanner in 0.22 saves previous scan information
>> (muxes/channels). This can be cleaned out by truncating the relevant
>> tables, but ISTR that you can clear this info out in the mythtv-setup
>> scanner GUI (away from machine at the moment, so cannot confirm this).
> Do you mean there is a different way other than deleting the channels
> from the 'Add Channels' screen?
I've done this with Hannington (Berks/Hants border). You can add the muxes
manually from within the "sources" screens (off the top of my head). I got the
numbers from internet resources - which seem to have changed since I last
mentioned them here.

My recommendation - do a *full* scan, then go to the Transport Editor and make a
note of all the frequencies found - in frequency order, which is not the way
they are displayed. Then find out by using google/whatever which frequencies are
emitted by your transmitter of choice. Go back to the Transport Editor and
highlight each frequency you do *not* want, then hit 'D' to delete it[1]. Now,
you should have left only the muxes (transports) you require. Now come out of
the Transport Editor and do a "scan of existing transports only". This should
pull only the channels you need.

[1] I have found that some of the frequencies may differ slightly from those
published. You are really only interested in the first 3 digits as an
identifier. If this gives you less-than-optimal results, try deleting all
transports and then adding them one by one by selecting "scan single transport"
where you will get asked to enter a frequency plus a whole load of stuff you can
mostly default. I did find this necessary during the Great Frequency Changeover.
Doing it this way means you can verify each mux as you go, leaving others intact.

Mike Perkins