[mythtv-users] Single WD GP disk fast enough for live 720p?

Marius Schrecker marius at schrecker.org
Mon Nov 30 10:52:36 UTC 2009

 On Mon Nov 30 11:03 , Nicolas Will <nico at youplala.net> wrote:On Mon, 2009-11-30 at 10:57 +0100, Marius Schrecker wrote:
> I want to  upgrade the capacity of  the (single - no room for more)
> disk on my combined FE/BE system, using HD-PVR capture.
>
> Ideally I'd like to go for a Western Digital GP 1.5 TB because of:
>

> Low power consumption/heat
>
> Low noise
>
> High(ish) capacity
>
> Reasonable price
>

> Does anyone know if I'm likely to experience problems with this as
> it's relatively slow?
>
> I'm currently using an almost full 250GB Samsung Spinpoint S-ATA 1
> from about 3 years back with no problems.

I have the 1-TB version, and it is fine as the sole disk for my combined
BE+FE, with 2 DVB-T tuners and 1 DVB-S tuner.

It plays HD without any hickup, even 1080p native rips from Blu-Ray.

Nico

Thanks Mark / Nicolas,

Looks like it's a good'un!

Thanks also Mark for the spindown/park tip.

I was considering spinning down the drive when Idle, although turning off or redirecting enough logging is always a big job in Linux.

That could be why people have had problems with spindown. I would expect that a drive that's constantly spinning up and down would suffer compared to one that stays spinning when idle, especially a low-consuption disk that should keep relatively cool when idle... on the other hand, with logging properly reconfigured, having the drive able to stay down for most of the day should be an advantage.

... I feel a new question to the list coming-on ;-) (but will probably control the urge).

Cheers!

Marius