[mythtv-users] Strange audio stop on Ubuntu 9.10 and 22fixes

Matt S. skd5aner at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 21:33:52 UTC 2009

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 3:00 PM, mark <markhsa at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sound will stop several times a day, or can be made to do so when attempting
> to open a wmv file from videos.
> The only way to get it to start again is to restart alsa-utils from init.d,
> then it is fine again.
> Ubunty 9.10 with compiled fixes, sound and vid via HDMI.
>
> I have this using XFCE, with the sound and volume in XFCE settings
> unchecked, compiled with pulse.
> Maybe I am misunderstanding the audio setup.  Should I be setting things up
> differently?
>
> What could be causing this audio stop behavior?  What does alsa-utils
> restart actually fix?
> Ideas?

Mark - not sure, but I'm having a similar issue in that occasionally
on Ubuntu 9.10 where I'll loose the ability to send analog/pcm sound
out via SPDIF, yet digital audio still works.  It seems to be resolved
when I run the speaker-test command.  Here's a bug report of the
issue, thought it might be related to what you are seeing, but I
honestly don't know:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver/+bug/25632

Thanks!
Matt