[mythtv-users] Never built a system from scratch - will this work?

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 14:54:49 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Rick <rbonafied at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> My myth box just bit the dust and I'm clamoring to have a replacement
> ready as soon as possible.  Since I've never built one from scratch I
> was wondering if I'll be ok with this setup:
> ----------
> Motherboard
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128394
> Antec New Solution NSK2480 Black/Silver 0.8mm cold-rolled steel MicroATX
> Desktop Computer Case 380W Power Supply
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129034
> AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W
> Dual-Core Processor
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103681
> -----------
> One thing I'm concerned about is whether the motherboard will fit in the
> case.  I tried looking at the pictures, but I'm having a tough time
> determining if all the back panel jacks and stuff will line up with
> opening.  I intend to move my 2 PVR 150's into it as well.
> I'm planning to use my existing IDE disks but it looks like it will only
> support two of them.  (I have 3)
> Do you think I should not use the onboard VATI ideo card and get an Nvidia?
> If this case is too tight, what would you recommend that also has 24+8
> power leads?
> Thank you!
> Rick
You might consider this case

<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811121010>and an ATX
system as it will hold your three drives and has lots of room.  Also, I
didn't see that you mentioned your tuners but the HDHR is the way to go.  I
use this case.  I bought 3 silent fans when I got the case, two in the rear
and 1 in the front.

My son just bought this case

and it really looks nice and has great air flow so his processor with a big
heat sink runs almost room temperature.  It is a tower but really nice
looking.  If I had room for a tower case, I would switch out the one I have
as this one is really nice.  The price is probably the same once you add in
the case fans that are needed with the other one I mentioned.

It all depends on how much room you have.  Room determines case determines
MB size and that determines how many drives you can run etc.