[mythtv-users] SOLVED: mythbuntu 9.10, Alsa, ALC662, 6 ch 5.1 surround, SPDIF

Dave Richardson mythtv at derdev.com
Thu Nov 26 14:44:33 UTC 2009

Mythbuntu seems to come out of the box with 2ch sound.  Also doesn't seem
to implement either /etc/asound.conf or ~/.asoundrc

I wasn't strong on how to deal with this so I wasted a lot of time trying
out the many many many threads on this... what finally cracked it for me
was this thread

My final update that seems to have solved it was this line into
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf

# The stuff up to "model" was already there...

options snd-hda-intel power_save=10 power_save_controller=N
model=3stack-6ch-dig index=0 enable=1

Then I went back through the alsamixer to get the sound levels right.

This was VERY simple and yet VERY hard to track down.  There are many
great guides on the myth wiki and elsewhere, but the combination of distro
and hardware (which is on the ION ITX) quite a challenge.  I hope this
helps someone else.