[mythtv-users] pvr-250 - I can hear the sounds, but they don't record

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Nov 25 17:19:45 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 25 November 2009 09:53:30 Mary Strimel wrote:
> hello,
>  I have my cable box hooked to the s-video of pvr-250.  A sound cable
> from the STB is plugged in to line-in on the pvr-250.
>
> While I'm recording, if I unmute the "line" channel, I can hear the
> sound so I know it's getting to the card. However the resulting
> recordings have no sound.  How to troubleshoot?  I've tried monkeying
> around with the mixer settings to no end.  Everything else about the
> setup has not been changed from the defaults (ubuntu 9.10 with myth
> .22).

I wouldn't think the mixer setting would have anything to do with recording
the line input on the PVR card. The PVR embeds the audio into the MPEG that
it creates, so mixer settings would matter for playback, but I wouldn't think
they would matter for recording, that all happens on the PVR card itself.

Nor would I think you should hear the audio while recording, unless you were
watching live TV, which is really just a simultaneous reocord and playback.

The mixer's "line" input shouldn't have anything to do with the line input on
the PVR card.

I record a satellite receiver using a PVR-150, and I never hear any audio
while recording, nor would I expect to.

What does "aplay -l" tell you about playback hardware devices?

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org