[mythtv-users] mythtv-status stopped showing up in motd

Brian Maupin bgmaupin at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 05:36:15 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 10:57 PM, Johnny <jarpublic at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Oops, I should've read it properly. Have you tried removing the
>> redirects to /dev/null so cron sends you the output?
> Thanks for the tip. The output seems normal. When I run sudo
> /etc/init.d/mythtv-status reload, then /etc/motd is updated properly.
> But when I log in the motd day is reset and it doesn't show up. I even
> tried doing the reload and then logging in with a second ssh window.
> The act of logging in seems to reset the motd somehow. I don't know
> enough about the login process to know where to look to find out how
> this could be happening.

I noticed that on my ubuntu karmic setup.  It seems like ubuntu is
updating the motd on login so it can display update related
information - you have X number of packages to update, need to reboot
etc.  If you look at /etc/update-motd.d/ you can see the files it
pulls together to do this.  You have a couple options.  You can turn
this login generation of the motd off and let mythtv-status generate
the motd like before.  I don't know where you configure this though,
since I like those messages I didn't look for it, so I can't help you
there.  Googling "/etc/update-motd.d karmic" or something like that
will probably get you started or dpkg -S /etc/update-motd.d should
give you an idea of which package to look at.

If you leave it on you can create a new entry in this folder to add
the mythtv-status stuff.  You have more options here as well, you can
have mythtv-status run everytime you login, adding a second or two to
your login but having up to date information, or have mythtv-status
run on a schedule and not incur the delay at the expense of slightly
stale information (depending on how often it runs).

For everytime you login.  This should use the settings configured in

FILE: /etc/update-motd.d/50-mythtv-status

if [ -x /usr/bin/mythtv-status ] ; then
       if [ -f /etc/default/mythtv-status ] ; then
               . /etc/default/mythtv-status
               /usr/bin/mythtv-status $ARGS -h $HOST

To use a scheduled mythtv-status, this is like the current/old way to do it
FILE: /etc/update-motd.d/50-mythtv-status
[ -f /var/run/mythtv-status] && cat /var/run/mythtv-status

AND edit the /etc/init.d/mythtv-status so it writes to a separate file
instead of trying to manage the motd

I don't have the original /etc/init.d/mythtv-status to do a diff of,
but just change the start and stop sections so they look like below

    log_daemon_msg "Updating $DESC" "$NAME"
    rm -f "/var/run/$NAME" 2>/dev/null || true
    $DAEMON $ARGS -h $HOST > "/var/run/$NAME"
    log_end_msg 0
    log_daemon_msg "Stopping $DESC" "$NAME"
    rm -f "/var/run/$NAME" 2>/dev/null || true
    log_end_msg 0

You also need to have a cron entry to do a reload on a schedule, but
when you installed mythtv-status with apt it should ave already set
that up.