[mythtv-users] Do storage groups care if partition size changes?

Deyan mythtv at bektchiev.net
Wed Nov 25 05:19:12 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 8:11 PM,  <f-myth-users at media.mit.edu> wrote:
>    > Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 21:33:34 -0500
>    > From: "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
>
>    > Also, note that newegg is carrying the 2TB Seagates for $139.99 at
>    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148413 .  I'm
>    > not recommending Seagate or this particular drive or newegg or
>    > anything--just mentioning the price.
>
> ...though reading the reviews may help explain why Newegg dropped the
> price $40.  (The reviews of the Seagate 1.5T were pretty bad; these
> look worse.)  I don't think it's just respondent bias, since not every
> drive on Newegg's site has such bad reviews.  Pity; I was a big fan of
> Seagate up until I started hearing about the 1.5T's.  (Mike, I know
> you have some Seagate 1.5T's you're happy with, so clearly not -every-
> Seagate drive was a loser, but I'd be nervous about buying drives with
> this sort of track record, so I figured I'd mention it so people at
> least read the reviews before making up their minds.)

I've bought 2 drives so far from NewEgg and although I buy from them
all the time I will not buy another HDD from them. Both drives were
OEM and were packaged in bubble wrap only (and not much of it, plus if
you've spent the time reading any of the warranty information of
manufacturers not an approved way of shipping). Although one of them
is still working after 2 years it's slow and from the start it took 20
hours to do a short SMART test. The other one started getting bad
sectors within a couple of months and was replaced by Fujitsu under
warranty.

I know I might have gotten unlucky but still the fact that some of the
reviews say that the drives are shipped in bubble wrap only means that
NewEgg doesn't package them properly so I'll keep staying away from
them.

--dejan