[mythtv-users] Implementing HD-PVR IR Blaster (more)

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Wed Nov 25 04:03:22 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-11-24 at 16:47 -0600, David Engel wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 05:23:59PM -0500, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > On Nov 24, 2009, at 3:19 PM, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> > > Does this mean anything to you? FYI This is a 32-bit kernel if that
> > > hasn't been tested yet and the here is the md5sum of the firmware:
> > > 1c117d591bbcb733690e1b7b36202490  /lib/firmware/haup-ir-blaster.bin
> > 
> > Not sure if I've tried a 32-bit kernel, but I don't know of any
> > reason why 32-bit vs. 64-bit should matter... The trace seems
> > vaguely familiar, but its been a while. I don't recall seeing an
> > i2c_master_send failing with a -5 (-EIO) though.
> There's something familiar about it to me also.  Daniel, check the
> permissions on your firmware file.  I doubt that's it, but that's the
> only thing that's coming to mind.  BTW, I'm using 32-bit without this
> problem so that's not it.

I think it may be the overheat issue. I had two HD-PVRs plugged in,
but the older one has been giving me trouble so I wasn't using it.
When I unplugged its USB cable the problem went away. The IR is not
as powerful the USB-UIRT driven dongles and Zilog doesn't have as
many of the DishNet remotes & remote keys in their DB as LIRC does,
but with some careful alignment and a bit of electrical tape it
appears to be working well enough for my channel change script.

For anyone following along, I'm using all three patches that Jarod
posted with the kernel.org kernel. This is in a i386 Kubuntu
9.04 system using the 'pvr-150' from dpkg reconfigure + the zilog
raw code conf (with 1_142 extracted and the elements renamed to match
the ones in /usr/share/lirc/transmitters/dish/general.conf.) FYI for
anyone using any zilog firmware blaster, that general.conf will never
work, the Z80 firmware used is incapable of doing generic IR out, at
least with any drivers I know of, it has all the IR codes it can ever
send built right into the firmware and you need to pick one. I just
wrote a little shell script that iterated through the 1_XXX_KEY_0 codes
until it found some that worked. Oh, also LIRC was not enabled after
applying Jarod's patches and I enabled those settings before compiling,
I don't recall needing to change any other settings.

-- Daniel

More information about the mythtv-users mailing list