[mythtv-users] HD-PVR: Encoding Errors Running 0.22

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Wed Nov 25 03:44:41 UTC 2009

On Nov 24, 2009, at 10:13 PM, David Engel wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 06:11:10PM -0700, John P Poet wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 5:33 PM, David Engel <david at istwok.net> wrote:
>>> Interesting. ?I've been meaning to try the RCA inputs to see if that
>>> had any effect. ?Is anyone who is having the stop/restart problem
>>> using the RCA inputs?
>>
>> I have never uses the RCA inputs.  Been S/PDIF from day one.
>
> Which doesn't disprove my guess that it might be s/pdif audio related.
>
>> I almost wonder if the problem is STB specific?  Maybe some STBs (or
>> service providers) produce a cleaner video and AC3 signal than others?
>> Personally, I feed my HD-PVRs with a Directv H20-100 and H21-200.
>
> It wouldn't surprise me if the problem is STB specific.  From what I
> understand, even for the same model STB, there are a lot of
> differences from market to market regarding the firmware used and the
> features supportted.  The reason I'm starting to suspect the digital
> audio is because the video is analog.  Except for sync, there's not a
> lot for the STB to screw up and the HD-PVR should happily encode
> whatever analog values it receives.  With the digital audio output on
> the other hand, it could be much easier for things to go wrong.

fwiw, digital audio coming off my Motorola QIP-6200 into my hdpvr was pretty thoroughly hosed (had a really tinny quality about it, painful on the ears) until a firmware update about 6 months ago. Audio off a DVD player was just fine. So yeah, there's definitely some device-dependent issues that have to be dealt with on the hdpvr side.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com