[mythtv-users] MythCloud, think bigger think outside the box

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Tue Nov 24 21:37:27 UTC 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 4:14 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> Since the DVDs are not CSS-protected, I believe it is perfectly legal in the
> USA for me to make archival copies of them.

I believe archival copies are allowed regardless of CSS, since CSS
does not prevent copying.  (i.e., making an iso image of a disc that
has CSS protection does not require breaking CSS.)

> I believe it would be legal for
> me to lend a disk to somebody else to view, but I'm not certain of that.

Do you mean while you are in possession of archival copies?  I don't
know.  Presumably you'd be ok if they're truly archival.  (In other
words, you can't use them except to replace the original, which you
can't do while the original is not in your control and hasn't been
destroyed.)

> Certainly it would be illegal for me to give away or sell copies of the
> disks.

It's legal to give away or sell it once, provided that you destroy or
transfer any copies you have.

Eric