[mythtv-users] mythfrontend 0.22 with PulseAudio

Another Sillyname anothersname at googlemail.com
Tue Nov 24 20:46:32 UTC 2009

2009/11/24 Cool Frood <aaranya+mythtv at gmail.com>:
>> Guys
>>
>> I didn't  see the start of this thread but surely your PA problem only
>> lasts for the first couple of seconds when you playback a recording?
>>
>> I never used PA until Fed11 (because frankly it didn't work properly
>> for me), but now have it setup with MythTV and even have LIRC
>> controlling the volume within mythtv to a spdif output.
>>
>> I have no latency issues after the first say 2 seconds of a recording
>> or video playback.
>>

> The problem isn't with MythTV being able to use ALSA while PA is
> running.  The problem is other apps not being able to function
> properly while MythTV is running.  MythTV currently disables PA on
> startup, so no PA-based app can run while MythTV is running.

Err.....No it doesn't

What does happen is that MythTV outputs to Alsa (assuming that's what
you've setup in your settings), you then need to ensure the
alsa-plugins-pulseaudio (or the equivalent for your distro) is
installed (and also the pulseaudio-module-lirc or your distro
eqivalent) if you want to drive volume using your remote.

So the stepping path for output then becomes....

MythTV -->  ALSA  --> Pulseaudio

If PA wasn't working on my system I couldn't control the volume using
my remote as I had to program it into my .lircrc file to specifically
drive the PA commands.

I know I came late to this conversation but if I can help let me know.