[mythtv-users] For HD Myth users, what is/was your cost?

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Tue Nov 24 17:53:33 UTC 2009

Jim Morton <Jim at Morton.hrcoxmail.com> says:
> I didn't enter into this project trying to save money. I found the
> best components I could and then evaluated the price/performance and
> generally speaking bought premium stuff. I could probably have
> trimmed off quite a bit if I had built an economy system.

This is the key. Making "save money" the priority when building a
MythTV setup usually results in spending more money down the road than
otherwise, from dissatisfaction with the results.
(<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/176328#176328>)
Seek quality at a reasonable price and you will get quality results.

The converse holds true as well. You are welcome to build a MythTV box
out of the junk in your closet and, if it meets your needs,
congratulations. But in this day and age of $30 VDPAU video cards and
$200 Ion+VDPAU frontends there is no excuse to do so and then complain
to the list that HD playback isn't perfect.

--
Frontend/backend:	P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array