[mythtv-users] multirec works but the scheduler never uses it for consecutive recordings

Mike Holden mythtv at mikeholden.org
Tue Nov 24 17:10:02 UTC 2009

ryan patterson wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 10:53 AM, Ste Daniels
> <steve.p.daniels at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> 2009/11/24 ryan patterson <ryan.goat at gmail.com>:
>>> I have two ATSC/QAM HDhomerun boxes set up to use multirec.  One tunes
>>> . . .
>>> Why doesn't myth use my other tuners?
>>>

>> Hi Ryan,
>>
>> This has been discussed a million and one times. What queries did you
>> try when searching the list?
>>
>> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/
>>
>> Ste Daniels
>
> This topic has been discussed a million times you say?  I've read this
> list for years and I've never seen a message discussing what I am
> asking about.  I just did some searches of my list archive looking for
> multirec and HDHR and nothing discussing the behavior I described came
> up.
>
> I did find several messages saying that myth will use the virtual
> multirec tuners to record back to back recordings with extra time at
> the beginning & end.  This is also what the wiki says.  But this is
> not what I see happening on my system.  That is why I posted my
> question.
>
> If this failure has truly been discussed a million times then please
> shoot me a link to just one of the discussions so I may learn how to
> fix the issue on my system.  Maybe you are just much smarter and can
> search better then me.

The 2 relevant phrases are "hard padding" and "soft padding". Of course, if you don't
know that, then you may struggle to search for them!

The short version is that hard padding (the pre-and post- minutes defined on an
individual program) will always be honoured (or a conflict occurs). Soft padding on the
other hand is more of a wishlist, and will be added where possible.

Searching for hard padding soft padding at the link posted above will indeed show the
topic has been discussed many times, but probably not a million and one! (I've told him
millions of times not to exaggerate, but he doesn't listen :-)  )
--
Mike Holden

http://www.by-ang.com - the place to shop
for all manner of hand crafted items,
including Jewellery, Greetings Cards and Gifts