[mythtv-users] For HD Myth users, what is/was your cost?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Nov 24 15:04:56 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 24 November 2009 07:31:28 Jim Morton wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
> > I for one would prefer the whole world not know what I have inside my
> > home :-)
> >
> > Perhaps I'm being paranoid, but it never hurts to be careful.
>
> While this is true there is also the fact  that anyone entering my house
> (many houses) without permission is taking a far bigger risk IMO.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I'm not banging my chest or drawing a line daring
> anyone to cross it. I'm just pointing out that idiots that risk breaking
> into houses are not likely to be the posters and readers of this list.

I certainly didn't mean to imply that anyone on this list might be a "bad
guy", I simply wanted to state a more general concept that everyone should be
careful what information they put out into the world.

Once posted, you can never take it back, and this list is archived so that
anyone may see what you posted years ago.

Also, information about who is doing what with HD material (aka "premium
content") might be used by the "dark forces" to assist in obtaining
legislation or other rulings that might not be in the best interests of the
users here.

This list is a great group, but archived information can be used by all,
including people (and corporations) who do not have out best interests at
heart.

I'm far more worried about losing my investment in Myth systems to people who
want to charge me three times for content than I am about people physically
breaking into my house. My pocket is far more likely to be picked by
politicians than by more common type criminals.

But the bottom line is, detailed explantions about how we all built our
systems are probably not the most useful way for people today to make
decisions about how to go about building a system. Many wrong turns and dead
ends can be avoided by looking at what the final results are, not the routes
we took to get there.

Costs are so variable with time and location that it's unlikely anyone would
be able to precisely duplicate them, and the present day cost of hardware is
easily determined without having to poll hundreds of users.

--
Brian Wood
beww at beww.org