[mythtv-users] For HD Myth users, what is/was your cost?

JEDIDIAH jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Nov 23 20:58:47 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 03:40:28PM -0500, Bobby Gill wrote:
> I am curious what the total cost is/was for you to get everything up and
> running (asides from time, which depending on whom you are may be the
> priciest...).

...with the wide availability of full acceleration of MPEG2 and h264 for
cheap, the costs really aren't as much as one might expect. With the march
of time (and tech), costs in general are lower then whn I started. Stuff
like the HD-PVR in particular are a bit more expensive but this unit also
eliminates much of the motivation for further compressing recordings. HD
playback and playback in general are cheaper and easier as low profile
systems are more widely available these days.

   My local BestBuy has an Revo on display. Although it almost looks like
they are trying to hide it so people don't get the idea that they may only
need to spend $200 on their desktop system.

   Skip comflagging and you could probably get away with using a Revo as
a combined BE/FE. So if were trying to build the cheapest possible cable
HD solution it would be a Revo, an esata drive and an HD-PVR for about $500
total.

   ...of course you can get a lot "fancier" than that.